Saturday, December 24, 2005

On Strategy
(but God forbid that we forget the goals)

We are clearly now talking about strategy. Now, I am fine with this, but I think it is important when talking about strategy to remember what the goals are!

What are the goals?

The goals are to establish a "Christian culture," to help students gain knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, to see the lost come to the saving knowledge of Christ, to see the believers continually grow in their walk with God, to give God the praise, glory, and honor that is due His name.

In this debate, I've been trying to explore all that education could be. I'm not being a reactionist for the sake of being a reactionist (although it is a given that I do love debate for the sake of debate). I am jealous for God's name to be exalted. I want to see lives transformed by the power of the grace of God. I have been captivated - in a romantic way - by the ideas of a classical and Christian education. I want to see students rejoice in the glory of God and to gain knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. Above all, I want the message of the cross to be preached and the righteousness of God to be revealed. The whole point of education should be to see these ideas brought to fruition in the lives of students, families, and society.

I would hope that on all these things, you and I are in agreement. If not, then before we really continue on a debate of strategy, we must go back to the debate of what the goals are and what they should be.

Now, on strategy.

You said, "I strongly feel that the model that Christ has set forth is one which requires us as Christians to meet the sinful world on its terms."

Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I commanded you. And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age." -Matthew 28:18-20

Deuteronomy 6 tells us specifically that we are to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. It goes on to say how: by teaching the children the commands of God and to impress them upon their hearts - to talk about them pretty much all the time. Proverbs says, "Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Education then is the job of parents - not the government.

Having said that, God does work all things out for his glory. Given the circumstances, what your principle did in your high school was no doubt used by God to accomplish His purposes. I do not condemn those actions for a moment. But I also think there is a better approach.

It is a fact that most Christians in our society do not really have a Biblical Worldview. This is true of Christians of all ages, races, social classes, etc. We have a nation of idolatry and confusion.

And I say we need a tactical retreat. See my comments in meditationsofdan.blogspot.com about the involvement our Sunday School group has with the Boys and Girls Club. The way to engage this culture is not for parents who have a halfway Biblical worldview to send their kids (who might have a quarterway Biblical Worldview) to a public school where they will be indoctrinated by the gospel of tolerance and openmindedness. No! That is like sending a child into Harlem to minister to the drug addicts and gangsters.

Rather, we should put Deuteronomy 6 into practice. Then adults should engage schools boards, parents, Congressmen, neighbors, as well as lost young people the way Jesus did. Children can join their parents in evangelizing their neighbors. But as it is, those who support the "salt and light" argument usually are doing next to nothing to seriously engage culture. They live their lives in their homes detached from the reality of the spiritual warzone that is public schools with a halfway Biblical worldview (probably not even appreciating the promise that God made to Abraham) and they send their worldly kids to worldly public schools to be salt and light. These kids, who are really insecure in many cases, are then intimidated from students and faculty alike to not have a Biblical worldview at all. The teachers' rhetoric is filled with the complicated lies of spiritual neutrality; they learn that they evolved from some primordial goo; and then they are taught that it is arrogant to see your faith as the only truth.

You want kids to evangelize and be salt and light? Fine. But I say they should do that with their families. Family evangelism is what I advocate.

In the meantime, we have got to fight for the salvation and discipleship of young people.

What would Isaiah say?

6 Comments:

Blogger Rita Earle said...

Hi Dan, I was just blog surfing looking for information on reports and found you! Your post about this post really got me thinking. I think you might find my reports related site interesting too.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Hi Dan. I really like what you have done with your blog! Great post you have here with this post. If you visit finance maybe you will find a bit of finance information that could help you, too.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Wow, I just ran across your blog while surfing, Dan, pretty neat! I am always looking for good information on novels, and your post this post definitly struck a chord. It might be worth your while to check out my novels too. Keep up the good work!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Wow, I just ran across your blog while surfing, Dan, pretty neat! I think you might have some interest in my site. You may find some content of interest.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Wow, I just ran across your blog while surfing, Dan, pretty neat! I am always looking for good information on games, and your post this post definitly struck a chord. It might be worth your while to check out my games too. Keep up the good work!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Hi Dan, I was just blog surfing looking for information on addiction and found you! Your post about this post really got me thinking. I think you might find my addiction related site interesting too.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home