Friday, December 23, 2005

Being There

Dan,

I think I phrased my point of contention poorly in my previous post. I'm not opposed to preaching with Bible in-hand categorically; this is not a question of there being a proper and improper geographical location for preaching (at least in general). This is not a question of God's sovereignty over school buildings vs. church buildings.

Why do I disagree with preaching in the classroom of public schools? That is easily (and not easily) answered. Public school teachers should not preach because it is "illegal" and insisting on an allowance for preaching in the classroom by every public school teacher would effectively remove them said schools. Now I know that you feel that preaching at all times is an act of obedience, Dan, but please, try to hear me out on this.

I strongly feel that the model that Christ has set forth is one which requires us as Christians to meet the sinful world on its terms. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Christ did not wait for us to get our act together in any way before initiating towards us to bring us into right relationship with him. This is one tremendous example of grace that is not easily ignored. For Christ, it was more important to him that we have the opportunity to know him fully than the cost he would pay to come to Earth to die for us. He came to Earth, placed himself in subjugation to the laws of man, and went about his work, preaching the gospel. The only laws he broke (of which I'm aware) were those of the religious order and I think it's fair to say that, in one sense, his whole purpose on Earth was to break those religious laws and in doing so, point a new and better way to God. In short, Christ came to Earth, limiting himself, so that the message could be clearly and plainly communicated.

You and I both know that preaching in the public school classrooms will, except in very rare situations, remove Christian teachers from the public education system. It is hard for me to see how having such a large public institution void of a Christian influence as a good thing. Again, I know you see this as a matter of obedience, but I see this as a matter of saving the lost where they are. You tend to see things as black and white so this may be a little bit hard for you to see as I do, but I can honestly say that I know and have seen many, many ways for Christian educators to exert a positive influence on those around them and bring them closer to a relationship with God.

Case in point: my high school principle was a Catholic. I don't know much about his faith personally but based on what I saw in his actions, I think I'll get to see him again in heaven. Mr. Harrington did many things that demonstrated the love of God in practical ways but let me name a few. It was very common to see him out and about during lunch talking with students and picking up trash. He would carry a trash can around and "take donations", serving the students in this way. He greased the bureaucratic wheels and allowed a Bible study (run by students) to be formed on campus; instead of putting up a stink about "separation of church and state" he simply allowed the group to be officially recognized and meet. I believe that his tacit support and approval is a reason we had over 100 students in a school of 2000 (5% of the student body) meet for Bible Study once a week my senior year. In talking with students who transfered in from other schools they said there was a marked difference in the atmosphere of our high school as compared to the school from which they came. I don't think such a positive atmosphere in a public school could happen by accident or by the sincere implementation of humanist philosophy. I think this was the Spirit of God shining through in the actions of the man at the top, influencing those around him. I am convinced that the success of our high school was a direct result of having a man of God running it.

I think this is why I have a hard time accepting a situation that removes Christians from public education; I have seen them do so much good it's hard for me to imagine what my education would have been like without them. I feel that, like Christ, there is good reason to accept the limitations of the public sphere so that we may reach the lost. I am thankful for the impact on my life that Mr. Harrington and the Christians teachers had and I think it would be the best thing in the world if every public school was so blessed. I think that we as the body of Christ are called to be in a place where we are a blessing to the world around us.

To make a metaphor, I see public education exactly as I see evangelism in China. The government doesn't want others coming to know God, we do. Most Christians I know would say that it is worth accepting the limitations that the Chinese government places on Christians who visit that nation so that they may have access to that mission field. If we walk into the airport terminal and start preaching, Bible in hand, then we will be kicked out and have done no good to those we were trying to reach. If we instead take our Bible in, foster good relationships with our neighbors and co-workers, seasoning our speech with Christ, enticing others by the life we live, our character, and the joy we experience, we plant the truth in their lives and demonstrate a better way to live. The aroma of Christ in our lives cannot be ignored, we preach simply by being so consistently God-like day in and day out. Will words need to be said? If we are the ones that will bring them through that first step then yes, we are going to have to open our mouths sooner or later. We will have to preach. That is far from our only tool, though, and it is one we use with skill and precision.

Non-Biblical thought has claimed so much of our culture; we need to continue to engage it and be there, in it, doing what we can. If we get thrown out, we are out of the game and can do no more good for that audience. We cannot be salt and light if we are not there; this is the first rule of evangelism. This is why so many missions agencies are always searching for future missionaries; we need more people there (wherever that may be) being salt and light to others. Our primary goal should not be seen as staying in the game; but if we're not in the game, we can't make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home