Saturday, November 19, 2005

One more time....

Dan, I don't mean to be snippy about this but I feel like I still haven't received a straight-forward answer to my question. Let me just make it super-clear one more time:

(quoting from my last post) "How do we determine which views are to be held by the populous as a whole?" Put differently, if education is about wisdom and virtue, whose definition of wisdom and virtue are we going to use?

If your answer is simply "the Bible's" then I think you are missing the crux of my question. You state that racism is a moral wrong and as such will never be a civil right. Your (tacit) basis for racism being evaluated as a moral wrong is the Bible. I state that not everybody adheres to the Bible as a moral standard. You say "So? Their wrong." Your basis for the Bible as a moral standard: the Bible itself. Do you see the circular line of thought? Our nation does not accept the Bible as the guide to moral living and telling them that the Bible should be their guide because it says so IS NOT sufficient. You may be right but the case you make is not compelling.

Again, this brings me back to my question. How do we, a nation founded on the plurality of views covering a wide range of topics and opinions, come to a workable guide to defining what our children should be taught? You claim that education is about instilling wisdom and virtue and have consistently held the Bible as the standard in this cause. That is GREAT but simply declaring that you have the standard does not make it so.

We need to find a way to bring Biblical standards into the classroom and your method has fairly consistently been "create a theocracy." Dan, you're a black-and-white person and this is a classic example of that. Perhaps you could think of some alternative suggestions for courses of action that call for something short of a massive political revolution? If you truly believe that is the only way to live a life of integrity then, well, I guess that's what you need to do. For me, I choose to find other ways that allow for smaller forms of success that yield results right now instead of trying to win the war in one massive battle.

Now, I would like to keep the discussion focussed on how to integrate Christianity into education and avoid pure politics as much as possible. If that's where you think this needs to head then so be it. Me, I think we have a lot more we can talk about in the field of education without solving all the world's problems along the way. I think it is important to our discussion that you answer my repeated question but if there is anyway that we can reign in our conversation to our original topic I think that would be great.

There is one question in particular that I would like to get around to eventually. You have said that you think Christians who are in public education need to preaching in the classroom, Bible in hand or they need to get out of public education all together. I think I disagree pretty much 100% so if we can find some kind of way of moving on to that topic eventually I think we would be able to live up to our blogs title a bit better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home